If you are like many Arizona residents, you love to drive. The broad highways and open roads offer transportation ease and beautiful landscapes virtually everywhere. You may get in your car and enter the highway every day, automatically. You may see yourself as a confident driver. Are you also dangerous when behind the wheel? At Matthew Lopez Law, PLLC, we often protect the rights of clients arrested for traffic offenses.
I Drive Safely reports that what many drivers see as assertive may actually be aggressive driving, according to the law. If you recognize any of the following behaviors in yourself, you may want to take a step back and reconsider some of your driving habits.
- You are always looking for an opening ahead, constantly changing lanes and working to “get ahead” of traffic.
- You move immediately to the left lane, keeping up with or passing the fastest moving vehicles, regardless of the speed limit.
- You never yield to other drivers when lanes merge or at a 4-way stop.
- You purposefully prevent another vehicle from changing lanes or merging in front of you.
- You do not use your signal when changing lanes, because the car next to you might try to close the gap, blocking you.
- You feel that when another driver hesitates, they are indecisive.
If you face charges of aggressive driving, the possible consequences of a conviction include hefty fines, a Class 2 misdemeanor, a suspended driver’s license and up to four months in jail. It can affect your job, ability to get a loan and cause your auto insurance premium to skyrocket. An experienced attorney may help reduce or eliminate the charges against you. Visit our webpage for more information on this topic.